This grandmother returned from Syria in her first deployment in the National Guard

Rick Steelhammer, Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette-Mail via the AP

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Sixteen years ago at age 41, Monica Willis, then a member of the Cross Lanes-based Army Reserve’s 261st Ordnance Co., was looking forward to what was to have been a deployment to Iraq.

Instead, she and the other 49 soldiers from her company called to active duty spent five months at Fort Dix, New Jersey.

“I was disappointed,” she said. Despite some trepidation, “I wanted a deployment. When you’ve been in the Army all this time, you feel a little guilty for not having had this experience.”

Willis, a Charleston Police officer for 16 years and now a part-time member of the Yeager Airport Police Department, had served in the Army Reserve for 18 years at the time of her 2003 in-country activation. It would take a transition to the West Virginia Army National Guard and another 16 years until her hoped-for overseas deployment took place.

Last June, the Eleanor-based 3664th Ordnance Co. of the West Virginia Army National Guard, in which Willis serves as a staff sergeant, arrived in Kuwait. From there, Willis was assigned individually to a posting at the U.S. Army base at Kobane, Syria. where she served from Dec. 8 until early March.

Following a demobilization stint at Fort Hood, Texas, Willis returned home on March 31, when she appeared at her church, Kingdom Life Fellowship in Nitro to surprise her grandson, Joel Smith.

At the end of the service, Pastor William Roberts summoned Smith to the stage and asked him, among other things, what he would say to his grandmother if he had the chance.

“I’d tell her ‘I love you,'” he quietly replied.

Roberts urged Smith to do just that, and had the youth turn around to see his grandmother, in uniform, walking toward him with open arms. The two embraced in an extended hug, and were soon joined by Smith’s mother, and Willis’ daughter, Leah Smith.

“I missed you all so much,” Willis told congregation members. “It’s good to be back home.”

While in Syria, Wilis was manager of the Army’s dining facility at Kobane, a city near the Turkish border, and the battleground between Kurdish troops and Islamic State fightersthrough much of 2014. Last fall, Turkish artillery shelled Kurdish positions in the area around Kobane, prompting fear of a possible invasion.

“We were working under the threat of Turkey bombing the place,” said Willis. “Turkey wanted to take that land over.”

Read More
%d bloggers like this: