Planned Parenthood to leave federal family planning program Monday absent court action

Planned Parenthood to leave federal family planning program Monday absent court action

Planned Parenthood will leave a federally funded family planning program Monday unless a court blocks the Trump administration’s new restrictions on abortion providers.

While Planned Parenthood stopped using Title X family planning funds last month after the administration announced it would begin enforcing the restrictions, it told the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) it would stay in the program while it sues over the changes.

But the administration told Planned Parenthood it must completely exit the program by Monday if it does not plan to fully comply with the rules, regardless of whether it is using the money.

“Your proposal to remain in the Title X program without complying with the final rule, even in the absence of drawing down or using Title X grant funds, is inconsistent with that guidance.”

Why it matters: Planned Parenthood said it wanted to stay in the program, without accepting the money, so it could “quickly” resume Title X services if the court rules in its favor. Leaving the program entirely could mean it has to go through a whole new application process.

What’s next: Planned Parenthood on Wednesday asked the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to block the abortion restrictions by Monday to prevent its “expulsion” from the program.

Read More
%d bloggers like this: